TIMES OF ALL CHRISTMAS MASSES ARE BELOW, OR CLICK HERE
(for the regular weekly parish update, scroll down or click here)
Events in the next week:
Friday 19th December – Blue Christmas – 10.30am in St. Peter’s.
Friday 19th December – Night of Light – see below. Between 4.00 and 7.00pm.
Saturday 20th December – Family Penitential Service - 3.00pm.
Sunday 21st December – Poinsettias at St. Stephen’s in memoriam.
Monday 22nd December – Parish Penitential Service - 7.30pm.
Tuesday 23rd December – Children & young people (any age) welcome to come and decorate St Peter’s for Christmas, from 10 am. Lunch afterwards.
more details of all these events below or in the newsletter
St Stephen’s Oliver’s Battery Road North, Winchester, SO22 4JB
- Would you as a family like to welcome Mary, Joseph and the donkey into your home during their travels during Advent? If you are interested please get in touch with Mary Alveyn at church or via the website.
- As in previous years we need your help to decorate St Stephen’s for Christmas. Liz Tipple would appreciate as much assistance as possible on the day which is Tuesday 23rd December from 10.00 am onwards. If flower arranging is not your forte please feel free to come after 11.15 to help tidy up the church. We stop for prayers at approx. 11.00 am followed by coffee and a mince pie.
- Traditionally we remember our deceased loved ones by bringing a seasonal plant – this year we would like it to be a red poinsettia, cyclamen or any red plant of your choice. This can be brought to Mass on the previous Sunday 21st December or on Tuesday morning 23rd December from 10.00 am.
- On Thursday 26th December we celebrate the Feast of St Stephen – our Patron Saint, at 10.00 am Mass. This is the annual Mass for our Parish Altar Servers.
St Peter’s Jewry Street, Winchester, SO23 8BW
- On Friday 19th December the “Blue Christmas” Mass will be held at 10.30 am in St Peter’s. There are many reasons why some people may find it difficult to feel joyful at Christmas, perhaps due to bereavement, separation, poverty or disappointment at the over commercialisation of this Holy day in a world where some many lack the basics of food, shelter, peace and justice. “Blue Christmas” is a service to enable us to celebrate the birth of Jesus in an atmosphere of gentleness and peace.
- Saturday 20th December – Family Penitential Service – 3.00pm.
- Monday 22nd December – Parish Penitential Service – 7.30pm.
- On Tuesday 23rd December at 10am children of the Parish are invited to come along to St Peter’s to decorate the Sacred Heart Chapel and clean the glass doors. Lunch will be provided at Subway afterwards.
St Gregory the Great 1 Grange Road, Alresford, SO24 9HD
- During the week commencing Monday 15th December parishioners from St Gregory’s will be involved in the traditional Carol singing in the sheltered houses in and around our town with members of the other Churches in Alresford.
- On Saturday 20 December, Churches Together in Alresford will hold a carol singing session in the centre of the town. If you would like to join us please meet outside the Wessex Pharmacy in Broad Street at 11am.
Wednesday, 24th December (Christmas Eve)
(No 12.15pm Mass in St. Peter’s)
5.30pm First Mass of Christmas (St Peter’s, Winchester)
5.30pm First Mass of Christmas (St Stephen’s, Oliver’s Battery)
8.30pm ‘Midnight Mass’, with carols from 8.00pm (St Gregory’s, Alresford)
10.30pm ‘Midnight Mass’, with carols from 10.00pm (St Peter’s, Winchester)
Thursday, 25th December (Christmas Day)
8.00am Mass (St Peter’s, Winchester)
9.00am Mass (St Thomas More’s, Stockbridge)
9.15am Mass (St Stephen’s, Oliver’s Battery)
10.30am Mass (St Peter’s, Winchester)
11.00am Mass (St Gregory’s, Alresford)
(No Evening Mass, or Evening Prayers and Benediction)
Friday, 26th December (Feast of St Stephen)
10.00am Mass (St Stephen’s, Oliver’s Battery).
(No 12.15pm Mass in St. Peter’s)
Saturday, 27th December
9.00am Mass (St. Peter’s, Winchester)
6.00pm Mass (St Peter’s, Winchester)